All this week, Behind the Setlist is previewing Volume, a music festival in Spokane, Washington, which features 100 DIY and indie artists from the Pacific Northwest and beyond (put together by our friends at the Inlander). Our Spokane team will be on the ground during Volume on June 2 and June 3, but we wanted to dive into these artists ahead of time.
Who are they, where do they come from, and what can we expect? We turned up the Volume on each artist for a little preview palaver.
Shawn James & the Shapeshifters @ The Pin, 6/3, 10:45pm
Where are you from and how did the group come together?
I am from Chicago, my fiddle player Sage is from Topeka, Kansas and the rest of my band from the Shapeshifters are from Arkansas. We’ve been a band for about four years now. I started as a solo acoustic artist and met incredible musicians in my travels. Slowly over time the Shapeshifters came together.
What’s your favorite song to play live?
That’s a tough one! We have many favorites but I’d have to say that “Hunger” from The Bear EP is one of our most exciting songs to play live. The energy we receive from the crowd is always through the roof on that one!
What goes into the making of a great setlist?
[Maintaining] the atmosphere and flow through the set is what makes it great.
Anyone you’re excited to see at Volume fest?
Unwed Sailor and Built To Spill!
If a Spokanite stumbles into a Shawn James and the Shapeshifters performance during Volume, what type of show are they likely to see?
They can expect to see a loud, swampy rock ‘n’ roll show with tons of emotion, energy and rowdiness!
SHAWN JAMES & THE SHAPESHIFTERS U.S. TOUR DATES:
- Saturday, May 27th at Westport Tavern for Westport Roots Festival in Kansas City, MO
- Sunday, May 28th at Marty’s Tavern in Sioux City, IA
- Monday, May 29th at J-Rod’s Rock Shop in Kearney, NE
- Tuesday, May 30th at Black Sheep in Colorado Springs, CO
- Wednesday, May 31st at Moon Room in Denver, CO
- Thursday, June 1st at Hodis Half Note in Fort Collins, CO
- Friday, June 2nd at Zebra Cocktail Lounge in Bozeman, MO
- Saturday, June 3rd at Volume Music Festival in Spokane, WA
- Sunday, June 4th at The Green Frog in Bellingham, WA
- Monday, June 5th at Funhouse in Seattle, WA
- Tuesday, June 6th at Dante’s in Portland, OR
- Wednesday, June 7th at Johnny B’s in Medford, OR
- Thursday, June 8th at Shea’s Tavern in Reno, NV
- Friday, June 9th at Thee Parkside in San Francisco, CA
- Saturday, June 10th at Viper Room West in Hollywood, CA
- Sunday, June 11th at Private Show in San Bernardino, CA
- Monday, June 12th at Beauty Bar in Las Vegas, NV
- Tuesday, June 13th at Green Room in Flagstaff, AZ
- Wednesday, June 14th at Yucca Tap Room in Tempe, AZ
- Thursday, June 15th at Lowbrow Palace in El Paso, TX
- Friday, June 16th at Bamm Festival in Cloudcroft, NM
- Saturday, June 17th at Barleycorn’s in Wichita, KS
- Monday, June 19th at Gas Monkey Bar & Grill in Dallas, TX
- Tuesday, June 20th at Limelight in San Antonio, TX
- Wednesday, June 21st at The Deadhorse in San Angelo, TX
- Thursday, June 22nd at Swan Dive at Austin, TX
- Friday, June 23rd at Leftwoods in Amarillo, TX
- Saturday, June 24th at The Fur Shop in Tulsa, OK
- Friday, September 17 at Muddy Roots Music at Cookeville, TN
SHAWN JAMES AND THE SHAPESHIFTERS EUROPEAN TOUR DATES:
- Saturday, July 1st at Pirate Farm Fest in Tielt-Winge, BE
- Sunday, July 2nd at Sunday Roots Festival in Meppel, NL
- Thursday, July 6th at Schaubude in Kiel, DE
- Friday, July 14th at Garage Sound Fest in Madrid, ES
- Saturday, July 15th at Razmatazz 3 in Barcelona, ES
- Friday, July 21st at Südwinsen Festival in Südwinsen, DE
- Sunday, July 23rd at Tag der Jugend in Geislingen, DE
- Tuesday, July 25th at Foodtruck Festival in Basel, CH
- Wednesday, July 26th at Blueballs Festival in Luzern, CH
- Sunday, August 6th at U & D in Stuttgart, DE
- Tuesday, August 8th at Tucher Blues & Jazzfestival in Bamberg, DE
- Saturday, August 12th at Gruben Grooves
- Sunday, August 13th at Open Flair Festival in Eschwege, DE
Follow Behind the Setlist